Tuesday, July 20, 2010

You are What You Eat....or Supplement

Over the past two years, I have become more and more interested in using food as medicine. I don't mean eating a chocolate bar to cure a cold, but paying attention to the nutrients I am receiving from food on a daily basis. If I a feeling kind of funky, I pay the most attention. Often, I find that I have piled on the sugar or refined wheat that week and I make modifications.

While I regularly eat garlic and oregano in pasta sauces and knew they were beneficial to health, I didn't know that Oregano Oil was sold outside of the gourmet aisle. In fact, Oasis Advanced Wellness is selling it as a possible natural anti-bacterial. Garlic has anti-bacterial qualities, so its not a far stretch.

The other one I didn't think about is Vitamin D supplementation, such as in a Bio D-Mulsion. An argument against sunscreen is that it prevents us from making Vitamin D. I disagree. We would still get some, or there is always protecting the face and leaving the legs. I think it has more to do with being "indoor people." Getting twenty minutes of sun exposure per day is all we need to start producing Vitamin D, but a lot of kids inside playing video games don't even get that. I have heard that even if you do get sun, a small amount of supplementation is an insurance policy, but if someone sits on the sofa all day, try to sit on the sofa on the patio for a little bit each day or take a walk.


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home