Thursday, February 18, 2010

Back In My Day...

boot.jpgI first became acquainted with the notion of wearing working boots not because I had a job that required foot protection. In fact, I didn't have a job. I was just a student at the time, and Doc Martens and other heavy and substantial footwear was in style. Everyone just had to have them. In the beginning of the trend, or at least when the trend reached me, I couldn't afford the trendy brands, but I definitely could afford a pair of regular work boots that checked off all the boxes of color (black) and desired sole thickness. They were hiding all that time at the construction supply store, the motorcycle apparel store and even at Kmart.

A few of my friends graduated to steel toe boots not because they really needed them, but because it made them sound even loader when they clomped around. Besides, it prevented anyone from making the mistake of stamping their foot twice. I was a bit more practical and refrained from steel toes until I really needed them. They certainly came in handy around horses, and probably prevented several broken toes.

I have to admit that I am pretty much a diehard. Even though I do need work boots from time to time for practical reasons, I will admit making a pair of white stitched black boots my "go to" casual shoes. Perhaps it is sheer nostalgia and when I am 80 I will wear them with a comfy sweatsuit and talk about "back in my day."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home