Monday, January 11, 2010

If Only I Had Been a Math Wizard...

numbers.jpgIn school, my brother and I could not have been more different. I was practically a savant when it came to English, history, or composition classes. He had a difficult time with reading comprehension, but was a whiz at math. In fact, in the first grade, I sat with the 5th graders for reading class, and in 5th grade, I came in second place in a district wide spelling bee. The only reason I lost was because I really had to go to the bathroom really badly.

My brother would have been out in the first round at the spelling bee, but he can tell math jokes. When he explains it, you can see why its funny, but because I don't know anything about trigonometry, I am sort of am lost. A scientist would find it side splitting and hilarious. I would need serious help with Math homework to even have an inkling of it being mildly amusing.

I wish that Free math tutoring online was available back when I was in middle school. It was hard to get outside of class help because my parents were not great at math. Also, my teacher was the type of person who was very gifted at math but didn't know how to teach it. It would have been better to have had someone who was a great teacher and was just average at math, I think, and save the math genius teacher for college or in high school. If the websites would have been invented, I would have been able to get up at any time of the day or night and figure out how to help myself.

Simple math and practical math is easy, but once you get into abstract math and don't get algebra help, you just get more and more lost as time goes on. I found that because I sort of slided through Algebra by luck, and didn't do well in Algebra II, I couldn't go on to Solve calculus or be admitted to Chemistry class. Of course, there are plenty of opportunities for me with the skills I have in writing and the arts, but I wonder what would be different had I mastered math.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home