Monday, July 06, 2009

Drivers Wanted...For My Computer, That Is

Getting a new computer can be a joyous occasion, but it can also be very frustrating. If you want to migrate your printer to your new computer, it is not always a plug and play situation. On several occasions, I have tried this very thing and realized that I could not find the disk which contained the driver. Of course, I am always the driver as I take no guff from the computer. I meant drivers.

This happened to me about a year ago, and I finally broke down and decided to call and request a copy of the hp drivers. Okay, that was doable. A replacement disk was expedited to me.

Then, the tricky part came when I wrestled with the linksys. First of all, I called my service provider. The representative walked me through and in the process lost my IP address and created another situation where I definitely needed the drivers. Well, they told me that the disk containing the linksys drivers software was discontinued awhile ago. Discontinued for my model? I am sure that is a ploy to get you to buy a new one every few years.

I wish I knew back then what I know now. There is an entire website at DriverSoftware.com that has nothing but drivers available for every conceivable peripheral (otherwise known as "external doodads.). That is a good thing, because after all of this I was seriously considering going back to hunting and pecking on my Royal. Then I would run into a bigger problem because ribbon is no longer made for them and I would have to unravel a modern ribbon and respool it and have my hands stained for weeks. Fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home