Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Spring Fashions Part II: The Ruffled Shirt

We have seen folks wearing complete powder blue tuxedos complete with ruffled shirts, just for the laugh. We have also known for quite awhile that fans of the 40s and 50s looks favoring to wear Guaybara shirts in cool white with a variety of fine details like embroidery and piping, etc. This spring, the forecast is that guys will embrace a ruffled shirt that is sort of in between - not quite as subtle as the earlier shirts but not nearly as flamboyant as something Tony Orlando might choose.

The more relaxed formal look by Louis Vuitton:



Like in yesterday's news, where we mentioned mixing formal details into more casual attire, a ruffled shirt goes out to one's favorite watering hole.
From Roberto Cavalli:



Perhaps a lot of vintage clothing merchants will be very lucky, by selling out of ruffled tuxedo shirts, but also I really think that a lot of men who it just is not their style to wear ruffles, they may just be on the look out for guayabaras and other shirts that combine the tailored details they are comfortable with, paired with find details. So, what is your opinion, is this the kind of indivduality that vintage wearers yearn for in modern fashion trends, or do you think this is a case of another short lived trend. Do you think those that will be in style will have been the ones who have worn it all along or do you think that this will creep its way around the wardrobe for a few years?

4 Comments:

At 1/10/2006 7:45 PM, Blogger Burl Veneer said...

Does Meat Loaf still wear shirts with ruffles and big lace cuffs, and a giant brocade tailcoat? Ruffles are great with a velvet jacket; on the other hand, ruffles totally go against my pro-necktie agenda, so I'm torn on this issue.

BV

 
At 1/11/2006 7:38 AM, Blogger VintageGent said...

I don't know. I have seen him in a lot of black on black. I was curious too, so I emailed his official fan club and I perhaps will get an answer back. I think though folks are looking back at the 60s, 70s, and 80s, and they are inspired by the previous fashion statement of Meatloaf, as it does look like what he would wear versus a best man at very colorful 70s wedding.

As to your dilemma, I have also seen the look with the white ruffled shirt with white pants which looks very apropriate for an upscale pool party or dinner in Hawaii. You could then change into a bathing suit and wear it open over the bathing suit, although they are showing floral tropicals paired with very mod looking suits these days (that is for another entry). Don't tell me you wear your tie poolside, now!

Of course a bowtie is always infinitely apropriate with a ruffled shirt. Ties have also been spotted worn as belts on men so there is another possibility. It can be tucked in such a way that it looks like a strip of funky fabric (people will say "hey nice belt") or you can wear it with the tied part prominent for a more spanish matador look i suppose!

 
At 1/12/2006 12:53 PM, Blogger Burl Veneer said...

Let me tell you about my bow tie trauma: one day in 1995, I wore a bow tie to work. The Dean of the college came into the office, saw my bow tie, and said, "You're looking very Republican today." I was mortified, and have not worn a bow tie since. But I suppose I could wear a floppy velvet one with a ruffled shirt and not be mistaken for a Republican.

 
At 1/19/2006 9:29 AM, Blogger VintageGent said...

To be honest I always thought of a certain popcorn maker named Orville, but with the wild prints guys have been buying, Mr. Reddenbacher would never cross one's mind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home